Sunday, May 22, 2011

tonight, my heart is broken: Joplin, MO

Today was such a wonderful day. Awesome weather. I actually enjoyed church this Sunday. The kids were happy. We had people over for dinner and then I get a text from my best friend Sarah; it said:
Tornado hit Joplin. My family is all okay but the house is demolished and they had to get people to get my mom out but she is okay. As far as i know they are at a church (wildwood baptist church). The high school and church are gone.

For those of you who don't know I was raised in Joplin Missouri. I graduated from high school there, i met my husband in Joplin. My fondest memories are in Joplin.

I instantly started making phone calls, yelling at austin to call his parents to make sure that everyone is okay.
Almost all of my friends have been accounted for except for one person. She was working at st. johns when the tornado hit. I'm praying that she's okay. I've never been so emotional about natural disasters, but this one was personal.


75% of Joplin is gone.. my hometown, the place where my heart resides
it looks like a third world country. a war scene.
 The path that the tornado took, straight through the heart of Joplin
 My High School, ruined, unfixable
 St. Johns, where the girl who we've not heard from works. She was working there tonight when the tornado hit.
St. Johns and their helicopter.

I don't normally say things like this, but if you could, please keep the people of Joplin, MO in your prayers. I know of 8 people already who have lost their homes. I wish that there was more that we could do, but prayers seem to be the only thing.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I was at work in Webb City when this happened. I also called Marion and Ben as soon as I could to make sure they were ok. The minute I heard that the high school was gone, I knew the church had gotten hit as well. So much destruction in such a short time. My prayers will be with all of Joplin.

Hil said...

Dawn! I am so terribly sorry. What total and complete devastation. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Jennie said...

My prayers are with your family. :(

Jessica :) said...

Oh my gosh, Dawn! I am so sorry. This is one of those things that always happens to people you dont know. I am so sorry that so much of what you've known has been destroyed. I hope your friend is okay. We will keep your family and all the people of Joplin in our prayers.

Jenna and Drew said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this Dawn. I will deffinitly keep all of them in my prayers. I wish I could be there to help you through this. I'm glad your family is all ok and I'm praying you hear from your friend soon.

marta said...

hi dawn.. i'm so saddened to hear this news, your heart must be aching. i'll be praying for your family and friends. what a difficult thing to see to a place you love so much. i'm so sorry!

Tara Johnson said...

We are praying Dawn! Hope all your loved ones are okay! you never think it happens to people you know. :(