Friday, November 11, 2011

Dawn is now gluten free

It's true. After many consistent stomach aches, barfing and pooing sessions I went to my dr and said "I think i might be allergic to wheat" it was a thought that had been nagging me in the back of my mind for a few years. This last weekend was the straw that broke the camels back. I was sick from sunday to wednesday with nausea and constant crumminess. So on Wednesday I went all day gluten free and I couldn't complain! I had no stomach pangs or rumbles. Although I did feel like i was starving to death because I literally had nothing to eat in the house. I was pro gluten, love that beast like no other (it just doesn't love me back).
Thursday I was so good all day until dinner. We had just bough gluten free soy sauce, but i still had a huge thing of Kikoman soy sauce and i thought "i can't NOT use this!! i'm sure it wont hurt my stomach too bad" so i made homemade teriyaki sauce with soy sauce that had been fermented with wheat. I ate my dinner, and what do you know? 10 min later I was moaning and groaning about how my stomach hurt.

So that's that. I'm officially off gluten forever. Getting started with gluten free things is hard and fa-reaking expensive, but I've felt better, fuller and no stomach aches!
I am sad though because now when we go out I have to make things difficult and I can no longer have my favorite maple bar donuts or cake donuts from Paradise bakery and i can't have my beloved cocoa bean cupcakes (but word is they are working on GF cupcakes... and if that's the case... i'll be there at least every other day haha)

I'm nervous about having to RE-LEARN how to cook, but at least now I wont get sick all the time.

4 comments:

Jessica :) said...

I used to work with a lady in her sixties who had to go gluten free because of a newly developed allergy. It seems really hard! Good luck relearning all that goes with gluten free. Hopefully you really feel the benefits of it.

Familia CedeƱo said...

I can't imagine having to make such a drastic change. I'm glad that you found out what it was though, that is great! Good luck!

Jenna and Drew said...

Good luck. My mom is gluten free too and she says it is stinking expensive. She has to use like 4 different types of flour stuff just to make cookies. I'm glad you're feeling better though.

Elsa Mary said...

I went through the same thing about 4 months back! It's a hard transfer but so totally worth it! I wish you the best of luck and if you need any help feel free to let me know!