Monday, April 18, 2011

Military Monday: My relationship with the Military

I've kind of grown up with the Military surrounding me, although I'm technically not an Army Brat I'd still like to think of me self as a quasi-Army Brat.
My dad was (is now retired) a Chief Warrant Officer for the United States Army. He primarily worked with intelligence, but before that he was in the signal corp for the Navy, after finding out that he's color blind and was severely sea sick, he switched branches and commissioned with the Army.
My dad retired from the military a little after I was born, but for some reason we traveled to the Philippines, China, Korea and Guam with the military, but I don't remember why.

My dad has always treated me like a soldier (minus smoking me to death) and so I guess that's why I've got a soft spot for the Military (i mean any person should anyways..). Although when I was probably 15 I was in a "Make Love Not War" phase, but I think it could have been that my dad and I don't get along as so I'd do or say anything to get his back up.. and that's a different topic.

Now when Austin and I were dating he talked to me about either going on a mission or going off to the Marines and I flat out told him to go on a mission. I was scared beyond compare. So Austin when on his mission and then came home, but still wanted to serve his country, I was still a little wary because again, I was too scared to even think about what could happen. We got married and moved so that we could go to school. A few months into the semester Austin came up to me and asked if he could join the National Guard, the recruiter came by and tried to calm my fears and I obliged. How could I not? This is what Austin has wanted to do for a really long time. How could I be the one to crush his dreams?
After two years of just being in the guard, we decided that he should join ROTC and eventually go Active Duty!

I'm anxious, excited, and nervous about our upcoming adventures, but i'm mostly happy that my husband will be able to do something that he LOVES.
So here I am, an Army Wife and dang proud of it. It only seems fit







p.s. i was 27 weeks preggo with Lorelei HUUUUUUGE

No comments: