Thursday, April 14, 2011

A day in the life when Austin is gone

It starts out like this.
He wakes up super early and quietly gets ready.
He kisses me goodbye and closes the door softly.
I stay asleep for a few more hours, I wake up, go downstairs and make a bottle for spencer
Get spencer quietly and let lorelei sleep for a little longer.
Both children are awake and we make a trip into Idaho Falls or  Rexburg super early, as to avoid crowds.
We either get lunch at a fast food place or we eat mac and cheese or pizza at home.
I let lorelei watch all the tv she wants and spencer crawl around the whole house.
I watch army wives for hours and get some cleaning in here and there.
I make a super cheap dinner or go get something from somewhere.
I eat sweets or make sweets. nevertheless sweet will find its way into my belly.
I rent a chick flick and bring my computer to bed and watch it until i fall asleep.
Or watch the movie until its over and watch netflix until i fall asleep.
Sometimes i get a phone call from austin, but most of the time he's sleeping outside in the sticks.

Army Wives drained me today. I can't help but think of Austin when something tragic happens and then i just cry and cry and cry. But at least i'm crying while austin is gone right (because he'd be making fun of me like no other!!)

1 comment:

shirley elizabeth said...

We just went to a welcome home party for Mike's cousin that just finished a year-long tour. He has two *beautiful* baby girls (each just had their first and second birthdays, respectively).

I was looking at his wife and came to tears in admiration for her, thinking I could never do that, and that she must be such a strong woman. And then I thought, but what if I did have to do it? What if that was our life? My answer is that I would just have to do it and go on with life, and every day my heart would break.

And then I realized that it's not that she's a strong woman (though she is, as many woman are) she just has to deal with it, so she does, and her heart breaks every day. And I cried a little more.

Army wives and mothers are amazing. I would be proud to send a son into the service.